Student Counseling Center- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible?
All students at UT Health San Antonio are eligible.

Are there costs?
There are no fees for services provided in the Student Counseling Center.

Costs for medication and lab work are the responsibility of the client.  Costs associated with referrals to specialists, other services, or agencies, are also the responsibility of the client.

What if I am in crisis during office hours (8am- 5pm)?
Walk in or call # 210-567-2648 and indicate that you are having a crisis.  Every effort will be made to see you as soon as possible. If you are in crisis after hours (before 8am or after 5pm) you can reach the after hours crisis line by calling 210-567-2648, listen to the recording, when prompted press 2, and you will be connected with our after-hours crisis support. If you experience a life-threatening emergency please call 911 or go to your nearest Emergency Department.

Are appointments required for therapy?
Appointments are encouraged, call us to arrange an appointment at 210-567-2648 or email  Service on a walk-in basis may be provided, if a clinician is available.

Are appointments required for the Massage Chairs?
Walk-in or call to schedule a time for your massage. Service on a walk-in basis may be provided, if a chair is available. Appointments are encouraged, please call us to arrange an appointment at 210-567-2648.

Who provides services at the SCC?

We are a team of Psychologists (Ph.D. and Psy.D.s), a Masters level (LPC-S) clinician for therapy as well as counseling or consultation support and Psychiatrists (M.D.) for Medication management.  The Student Counseling Center has a multidisciplinary staff that also includes residents in psychiatry and psychology and is organized to meet the needs of Health Science Center students.

Psychologists possess a Doctorate in Psychology and licenses to provide assessment and treatment via various therapy services and/or consultation. A master’s level clinician possesses a Master’s degree in counseling and a license to provide counseling support. Psychiatrists are Medical Doctors who specialize in evaluation and medication management of mental health concerns.

Who is the local mental health authority?
Center for Health Care Services
3031 IH 10 West
San Antonio, TX 78201       Phone number: 210-731-1300


Image result for resources and help


Check out our Facebook page: