The Hazlewood Exemption provides an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas* veterans and to eligible dependent children and spouses of Texas* veterans. Eligible veterans, their children and spouses may receive an exemption from the payment of all tuition, and certain fees for up to 150 semester credit hours, provided they are enrolled in state-funded courses.
Fees that are not covered by the Hazlewood Exemption at UT Health San Antonio include:
Student health insurance
Student services fee
Medical services fee
Fitness center fee
- Academic advising fee
- BSN to DNP program free
For additional information concerning Tuition and Fees please view the Cost of Attendance link.
List of Potential Eligible Hazlewood Recipients:
- Children of Veteran (Legacy Program) – Transferability of Benefits – eligible veterans may assign unused hours of exemption eligibility to a child under certain conditions
- Spouse and Children of Veteran:
- If veteran became totally disabled (100%) as a result of a service-related injury or illness or is entitled to compensation at the 100% rate due to individual unemployability due to a service-connected injury/illness
- Or if veteran died as a result of service-related injuries or illness, or is missing in action
For complete details go to the Texas Veterans Commission’s website.
List of Documents Needed:
Complete Applications and all supporting documentation must be received by UT Health San Antonio no later than the last day of class in order to be evaluated for the semester or term. Medical and Dental Students must submit all required documents the last day of Fall classes for the academic year
Students requesting benefits for the first time at UT Health San Antonio: Complete the Intial Hazlewood Checklist (includes link to the application) and provide the documents listed. The application is valid for one academic year; please specify which terms you are applying for. Students with a break of enrollment (one or more long terms) should also complete this application again.
Students requesting to renew benefits for subsequent and continuous enrollment: Complete the Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Application for Continued Enrollment. The application is valid for one academic year; please specify which terms you are applying for. Students claiming eligibility based on being a dependent on the Veteran’s income tax return, will need to submit a copy of the Veteran’s Tax Transcript every year to confirm their continued eligibility.
Email, Fax and Mailing Address:
Complete Applications and all required documents can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 210-567-6643, delivered to our office on the fourth floor of the Briscoe Library, room 4.064, or mailed to:
UT Health Science Center San Antonio
Veteran Services and Financial Aid
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio, TX 78229-3900
Stacking Hazlewood Benefits with VA Education Benefits:
Those who qualify for the Hazlewood Exemption may use the exemption in conjunction with all versions of the GI Bill except the Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100% rate or the Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation program.
- Any student that qualifies for both the Ch 33 Post – 9/11 VA Education Benefit and the Hazlewood Exemption will not be able to use the Hazlewood Exemption towards any tuition paid for by the VA
- Any remaining tuition and fees that can be exempted will be pro-rated as Partial Hazlewood
- Students must apply for their Hazlewood Exemption and their VA Education Benefits separately
Students can view our VA Education Benefits web page for further information.
Additional Hazlewood Information:
Complete Applications and all supporting documentation must be received by UT Health San Antonio no later than the last day of class in order to be evaluated for the semester or term. Medical and Dental Students must submit all required documents the last day of Fall classes for the academic year.
This does not allow for retroactive application of benefits to an earlier term
- Notification from another school does NOT qualify a student to retroactively apply Hazlewood at UT Health San Antonio
If you have questions that this website does not address please contact our office at 210-567-2635. Our knowledgeable staff is available to assist with any questions/concerns you might have concerning your Hazlewood Exemption.
For more information concerning the Hazlewood Exemption please refer to the Texas Veterans Commission webpage or you can contact them at (512) 463-3168 or toll-free at 1-877-898-3833.