MP900305933CH 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) benefits are paid to veterans if he or she generally:

  • Has received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable
  • Has a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)
  • Applies for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess services

The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E’s services may be used is 12 years from the latter of:

  • The date of separation from active military service, or
  • The date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating

Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation – VA Application Process:

A veteran who is eligible for an evaluation under Chapter 31 must:

  • Apply for services and receive an appointment with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC)
  • The VRC will work with the veteran to determine if an employment handicap exists as a result of his or her service connected disability
  • If an employment handicap is established and the veteran is found to be entitled to services, the VRC and the veteran will continue counseling to select a track of services and jointly develop a plan to address the veteran’s rehabilitation and employment needs.
  • The VRC and the veteran will work together to implement the plan to assist the veteran to achieve their employment and/or independent living goals
  • Upon VA Enrollment Certification, the Bursar’s Office will apply a Third Party Payment to the student’s account in anticipation of VA’s Tuition and Fees Payment. This will eliminate the need of a Tuition Emergency Loan.  If the VA does not send the anticipated payment and we are unable to resolve the situation for the student, the student will become responsible for the balance.

For additional information about VR&E contact the Regional Office in the state of the veteran.
The closest Regional Office to UTHSCSA is:
Frank Tejeda
VA Outpatient Clinic
5788 Eckhert Rd, San Antonio, TX 78240.
Contact Phone # (210) 699-5022.

Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits:

  • Veterans using this benefit have their tuition, mandatory fees, books and supplies paid, for a period of time determined by a VA counselor
  • The veteran also receives a monthly stipend based on their enrollment status
  • Veterans receiving CH 31 are not required to verify their attendance with the VA

CH 31–Vocational Rehab Rates can be found here.

For additional information about CH 31, visit the Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Service GI BILL website.

CH 31- Vocational Rehabilitation UTHSCSA Requirements:

The following will have to be completed/submitted so the Office of Veteran Services and Financial Aid will be able to submit an Enrollment Certification to the VA for the term(s) requested

  • Veteran should be enrolled in the term that the VA Education Benefit is being requested
  • VA Form 28-1905 must be submitted to our office – completed and signed by the VA Case Manager
  • DD214 – must be “Member 4 copy”. Copy can be requested from the National Archives eVetRecs website
  • Students enrolled in Graduate programs must submit copy of Program Plan from department
  • Prior to certifying enrollment, the VA requires our Office to ensure that ALL transcripts are received and evaluated.  It is the student’s responsibility to request and submit transcripts (including military transcripts) to the Office of the Registrar.
    • If you are prior Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy, visit the Joint Services Transcript website ( to request transcripts. If you are prior Air Force, visit the Air Force Community College website ( Exception: If your DD214 indicates you held an Officer position while in the military AND you do not have military transcripts, you are required to submit a written statement confirming that you do not have a military transcript to the Office of Veteran Services and Financial Aid – include a copy of your DD214 Member 4.