Paying for College


A grant is money that does not have to be repaid and typically comes from the federal government or the state.  It is awarded as a means of partially meeting a student’s demonstrated need in addition to scholarships and/or loans.  Undergraduate students seeking their first Bachelor’s degree who meet the eligibility requirements are offered the Federal Pell Grant at the full-time level.  Should the students enrollment for that term fall below full-time status the pell grant will be reduced to match that level of enrollment.


A loan is financial assistance that enables degree-seeking students that are enrolled at least half-time to borrow money from the federal and state government.  Students will need to complete entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note before they can receive funds from the federal loan programs.  State loans and private/alternative loans have separate application processes.  Please see your financial aid counselor for the details.


Scholarships are awarded based on need, merit, or a combination of the two.  Students will be able to access an online scholarship application by logging into My Student Center.  Application details will be forwarded to the individual Loan and Scholarship Committees of each school for selection.

Tuition Waiver

Tuition waivers allow qualified students to pay the in-state tuition rates even though they are classified as non-resident students.  Appropriate documentation must be submitted before the official census day of the term in order for our office to process the waiver for you.  Some common waivers are the Competitive Academic Scholarship,  Teaching/Research Assistants, and Military waivers.   You can read more about them here.

Veteran Benefits

Veteran Benefits are available to help our veterans and dependents through the certification process.   Students receiving VA Education benefits are still eligible to receive Financial Aid.  The student should apply for Financial Aid by visiting the Federal Student Aid website –   (UT Health San Antonio’s school code is 003659).

Work Study

Federal Work Study positions are available for students who are awarded funds.  Positions are updated periodically and hiring is at the discretion of the department.