1098 T Information

If you paid qualified tuition and fees, or received scholarships and grants, in the previous calendar year, please visit this site for instructions on how to obtain your form.   Medical and Dental students that graduated in 2018 actually paid/received their tuition/scholarships in the fall of 2017 and will not receive a form for the 2018 calendar year.  For additional questions please contact the Bursar’s office at bursar4students@uthscsa.edu or review the instructions Student Access to 1098Ts.

For information from the IRS about why the 1098-T is important to Student and Parents, please click here.

2018-2019 Work Study Employment Forms

Students hired to participate in the College Work-Study Program must attend a short Orientation Session prior to receiving clearance to begin working. Sessions are currently offered once per week and last 20-25 minutes. You must bring the hire documents to this session.  Once hired, you will receive an email from the Student Center with the most recent schedule.

Currently, sessions are held in the Financial Aid office located in the Medical School Building-Room 318.L

  • Please use Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers for best results
  • Fill out the highlighted sections onlyInitial any errors/corrections made on forms except on the W-4 form which cannot have any errors.
  • Along with the forms, you will need to bring either:  an unexpired US Passport OR an unexpired Driver License along with your signed Social Security card. This is a requirement for the I-9 form.
  • If you would like Direct Deposit for your paycheck, please bring a voided check to attach to the form.

Please do not hesitate to call our office at 210-567-2635 if you have any questions.

Fill out the highlighted portions ONLY- DO NOT fill in the position title.

Fill out highlighted portions ONLY and sign/date on 2nd page.  DO NOT write below your signature.

This is the new I9 form.  Please fill out and print the 1st page only and sign/date.  This form needs to be accompanied by your identification documents described above. You will have to hand write your social security number.

Fill out highlighted portions ONLY.   If you need to make a correction, please complete a new form. HR or our office CANNOT except any errors on this form.   To better understand the impact of how to complete this form and your net earnings, review the IRS W-4 simulation.

Fill out highlighted portions ONLY.  If you want to use a checking account that you use paper checks for, please bring in a “VOID” check to attach to the form.

If you do not turn in one of these forms, your check will be sent to the Financial Aid office.  Our office will email you to pick it up when it is received.


Administrative links

CWS Interest Questionnaire


Hold Loan -Interest Change



Are you meeting SAP requirements?

Eligibility for Financial Aid

To maintain eligibility for financial aid, a student must make academic progress towards their degree.  Once the requirements have been met for the student’s degree, that student will lose eligibility for further funds, even if they choose to stay in school for additional semesters and not graduate.

Our office will measure your academic progress annually after the spring semester grades have been posted or after every payment period if a is enrolled in programs lasting one year or less as mandated in Federal Regulation HEA 484(c). Failure to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards (for all terms enrolled, not just those terms that aid was received) may result in loss of financial aid eligibility.


All three of the following Satisfactory Academic Progress standards must be met:

1) Qualitative Component – Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)

Undergraduate students must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA. Texas Grant and Be On Time recipients must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA. Graduate students must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA while medical and dental students should maintain a GPA of at least 2.0.  Physician Assistant Students must maintain a 2.75 GPA.

2) Quantitative Component – Minimum Completion Rate for Attempted Credit Hours

A student must earn credit for at least 75% of all semester credit hours attempted (total earned hours divided by total attempted hours). Transferred hours that count toward an undergraduate bachelor degree at UT Health San Antonio are included in the completion rate calculation.  Medical and Dental students must successfully advance each year to the next level of instruction. A student who is not progressing toward graduation will not receive financial aid regardless of his/her GPA.

3)  Quantitative Component – Degree Completion within 150% of the average length of the Program

Undergraduate and graduate students must earn an undergraduate degree within 150% of the number of hours that are required to earn a degree.

  • A student pursuing a double major or degree must earn his/her first bachelor’s or graduate degree within the 150 percent maximum time frame standard.
  • Transfer credit hours posted to the official transcript record and all courses removed through the Academic Fresh Start process will be counted as attempted credit hours, whether or not they are applicable to the student’s current degree.
  • Medical and Dental students must complete their program within 6 years of their start date.

Repeated Course Work

Code of Federal Regulations

The regulatory definition for full-time enrollment status (for undergraduates) has been revised to allow a term-based student to retake (one time only per previously passed course), any previously passed course. For this purpose, passed means any grade higher than an “F,” regardless of any school or program policy requiring a higher qualitative grade or measure to have been considered to have passed the course. This retaken class may be counted towards a student’s enrollment status and the student may be awarded Title IV aid for the enrollment status based on inclusion of the class.

Financial Aid Suspension/Requirements to Regain Eligibility

A student who fails to maintain the quantitative and/or qualitative standards will lose his/her eligibility for student financial aid and will be placed on financial aid suspension. This suspension will continue until you complete at least 6 hours in your major with a 2.5 semester GPA or better for undergraduates and a 3.5 semester GPA for graduates (if more hours are taken, all credit hours must be completed with a passing grade) over a long semester. Once these conditions are met, you need to notify our office in writing to have your eligibility reviewed.

Professional students, Doctor of Medicine and Doctor of Dental Surgery, returning from Leave of Absence or Withdrawal will be required to to follow the SAP Appeal Process as outlined below.

Aid cannot be processed for dismissed students.

Students have the right to appeal the suspension as outlined below.  If appeal is approved a SAP agreement will be entered into to regain eligibility.

SAP Appeal Process

Students may appeal the denial of State and/or Federal Title IV student financial aid due to not meeting SAP requirements. Successful appeals must show that special circumstances (i.e. illness, family emergency) contributed to not meeting SAP requirements and include:

  • A detailed explanation of their special circumstances.
  • Any and all supporting documents associated with the appeal (i.e., medical documentation, death notice of family member, etc.).
  • A letter from their academic department delineating the student’s academic standing and confirming that the student can meet the minimum SAP requirements upon graduation.

To submit an Appeal: print and complete the SAP Appeal Checklist , collect the items indicated, and submit them to one our Financial Aid Officers .  Appeals are submitted to VSFA and will be reviewed by an appeals committee.  Students will be notified by email of the outcome when the review is complete. If approved, financial aid eligibility will be reinstated for the academic period specified by the reviewer but typically no more than one academic unit of time as defined by the grading cycle.  Failure to meet the agreed upon goals will result in termination of eligibility until you have successfully regained eligibility by meeting SAP standards.

The number of times you may file an appeal is limited to three over your academic career. If you are unable to appeal your suspension for one of the 3 reasons allowed by Federal Regulations, your aid will remain suspended until you complete the requirements to regain eligibility. If your appeal is denied you will be notified by email and any aid already awarded will be cancelled.

If your appeal is approved you will be notified through your email of any additional outstanding document requirement.  Federal regulations allow the Financial Aid Office to require students to fulfill specific terms and conditions, such as taking a reduced course load or enrolling in specific courses. You will be required to agree and sign a Financial Aid Probation form before your aid can be processed any further.




UT Health San Antonio.

Campus Technology Student Jobs


Certificate in Dental Diagnostics

This program will typically require 24 months of instruction and includes an option for pursuing a Master’s degree (30 months).  Additional information for this program can be found in the UTHSCSA catalog located here.  

The costs shown below assume a student will attend for the following levels of enrollment over the two year certificate program:

                                                                                  Fall                        Spring

                                                          Year 1        23.5                          16.5

                                                          Year 2        23.0                          19.0


Cost of Attendance for 2013-2014


                                       Year 1                                 Year 2                       

Tuition                     $  4,692                               $  5,053               

Fees                                 1,146                                    1,146                    

Direct Costs       $  5,838                              $ 6,199                     


Please note the tuition shown above is based on in-state rates –

In-state tuition               $120.30/credit hour

Out-of-state tuition   $434.30/credit hour


The cost of your supplies depends upon the needs of your program and the selections you make when purchasing equipment from multiple vendors.   After you have made those purchases, please submit your receipts to our office so we can increase your budget to reflect your actual cost for the year. 

 Indirect costs include allowances for the student for living, health insurance, transportation costs, and miscellaneous expenses.   Students will be given these allowance based on an expected enrollment of 12 months each year.


                                                  Year 1                           Year 2                 


Room/Board                      $ 18,563                      $18,563                 

Health Insurance                    1,432                           1,432                    

Transportation                        5,176                           5,176                    

Misc Costs                                  2,873                           2,873                   

Potential  Costs          $ 28,044                    $ 28,044               


How do I make use of these numbers?

When you are trying to determine how much you will be able to spend on your living expenses, add up the allowances for room and board, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses and divide them by the number of months you will be enrolled in school. This should give you an idea of what you can afford to spend on your living expenses per month.


2013–2014 Disbursement Dates

The following dates show when your financial aid will post into your tuition/fee account at UTHSCS:

                                                Fall date                                                         Spring Date

                            Friday   06/21/2013                                   Monday   12/27/2014

Students who participate in the William D. Ford Direct PLUS Loan program will also need to complete an Entrance Counseling Session and a Master Promissory Note at studentsloans.gov.  

Refunds of any credit balance will be sent to you by the following:

  • Paper Check – checks are usually delivered to your home address within 3 to 5 business days. Your banking institution may place up to a 10-day hold on your check.   During the Winter Holiday’s, student’s electing to receive paper checks may wait an additional 3 to 5 business days to receive their funds due to bank/post office/university closures.
  • Direct Deposit – direct deposits are usually received within 1 to 2 business days. You must sign up for this service through your student portal at least 10 days before your scheduled disbursement.


What is Financial Aid?


FINANCIAL AID is defined as assistance to pay for your educational expenses. These expenses include tuition, fees, books, supplies, and living expenses while in school.  Any assistance received by you to help you pay for these expenses is considered “financial aid” regardless of the source. These sources are:

  • Grants  Funds from Federal and State sources that do NOT require repayment
  • Scholarships  State, Institutional, Organizational funds that do NOT require repayment
  • Loan Programs Money that must be paid back. May consist of Federal/Private loans
  • Fellowships/Stipends Assistance received while in school
  • Departmental payments Assistance with tuition/fees while in school


Learn more about Financial Literacy

Do you know how your credit score is determined?  Do you know how to obtain your credit report for free? Have you created a budget for your monthly expenses? Do you know how to get started? These important topics should be considered while you are in-school and BEFORE you graduate. Learn more about managing your money, free credit reports, and FICO scores below.


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards…learn more

Community Service Positions


CWS for Summer Dental Selectives

***NOTE: This information is subject to change. Please check back on or around April 15, 2020***


Students enrolled in certain summer Dental Selectives may be eligible to receive compensation for their community service via the Federal College Work-Study (CWS) program.  This program is administered by Veteran Services and Financial Aid (VSFA).

Who Qualifies?

Students must have a valid 2019-2020 FAFSA on file with VSFA.  Visit this link for more details on the FAFSA process.  CWS is a need-based program.  A student’s calculated need is determined by the following:

Annual Cost of Attendance (COA) minus Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) minus other non-loan aid equals Need.

Which Selectives Qualify?

The School of Dentistry designated the following Selectives as community service:

SELC 7011 – Summer Clinical/Community Externship. Only classes 05/19/2020 – 05/29/2020  & 06/01/2020 – 06/12/2020

SELC 7088- Community Service. 05/18/2020 – 05/29/2020 & 06/01/2020 – 06/12/2020

SELC 7120- Preventive Dentistry Outreach. 05/19/2020 – 05/29/2020

SELC 7123- Primary Dental Care/Outreach Laredo-IPE. 05/19/2020 – 05/29/2020

SELC 8221 – Heroes for the Homeless. 06/01/2020 – 06/12/2020

SELC 8032 – Senior South Texas Rotation. 05/19/2020 – 05/29/2020 & 06/01/2020 – 06/12/2020

What is the award amount?

CWS for Dental Selectives is awarded at $15/hour, no more than 20 hours per week, for a total of up to $600/2 weeks.  The student must earn the hours first, then will be required to submit a timesheet to our office for processing by the deadline.

How do I sign up?

VSFA will extract a report of eligible students and contact them via their LiveMail Account late March with a link to complete the employment documents (check your spam folder). Once the employment documents are processed, the student will receive a Clearance to Begin Employment email and instructions on how to submit a timesheet for pay.

Hours Worked from 05/19/2020 to 05/29/2020 – Timesheet due 05/29/2020 by 3:00 pm

Hours Worked from 06/01/2020 to 06/12/2020- Timesheet due 06/12/2020 by 3:00 pm

Who do I contact if I have questions?

Please contact Rebecca Brysch at bryschr@uthscsa.edu or Gloria Salinas at salinasgg@uthscsa.edu if you have questions.

Debt Management Guide

This resource is intended to assist you in managing your student loan debt and making decisions about your loan repayment strategy. After you complete the first item below, you can contact our office at 210 567 2635 to schedule an appointment for additional debt management counseling.

To Do:

Complete Exit Counseling
As a federal student loan borrower, you have the responsibility to complete an online Exit Counseling session when you stop attending school at least half-time. This session explains your loan repayment responsibilities and when repayment begins. Navigate to studentloans.gov  and login using your FSA ID.

Review Your Student Loan Borrowing History
For each loan you borrowed, you should have received a disclosure notice (often by e-mail) about the terms and conditions of your loan. You can use this information to help you prepare for repayment of your loans or, if you cannot find them then you can review your entire loan portfolio by visiting the websites below:

-Federal Student Loans: Use “My Federal Student Aid” at StudentAid.gov/login. If you borrowed from the Federal Perkins program you will be contacted by the Office of the Bursar about your Perkins Exit Counseling with Heartland ECSI, the loan servicer.
– State Loans: College Access Loans and Be-on-Time Loans can be reviewed at www.hhloans.com
-Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation: For repayment information email studentloan@mspf.org or call (210) 525-8494.
-Texas Medical Association: For repayment information login to www.tmaloanfunds.com or call (800) 880 2828
-Private Loans: Retrieve your free annual credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com with each of the three major reporting bureaus. Your credit report reflects the private loans under your name. Even if you do not recall borrowing a private loan, it is recommended to review your credit report to ensure accuracy.

As you review your entire loan portfolio, you should make note of the following information for each loan type you received:

-The amount you originally borrowed, the current loan balance, accrued interest amount, and interest rate. For most loans, the accrued interest is capitalized once the loan goes into repayment. This means that the accrued unpaid interest is added to the principal of the loan and capitalized interest begins to accrue interest as well.

-When you need to begin repaying your loans. It’s important to know when you are expected to make your first loan payment. For most student loans, there is a set period of time after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment before you must begin making payments. Depending on the type of loan you have, this period is called a “grace” or a “deferment” period, and it may last six months (for loans made under the Direct Loan Program or FFEL Program) or nine months (for loans made under the Federal Perkins Loan Program). You may need to begin repayment immediately on older loans if you have previously used the grace period. Do not depend on the loan servicer to notify you of when your payment is due; federal loans are considered delinquent on the first day that the payment is late!

-When and how to make payments. Make sure you know the name and the servicer of each of your loans to send your payments.

Consider Your Income and Expenses to Create a Budget
As you prepare to make your student loan payments, you’ll want to have an idea of what your earnings and living expenses will be based on your new job. Once you do, you can create a budget to determine how much you can realistically afford to pay in student loan payments each month, and to select a repayment plan that best meets your financial needs. If you haven’t yet found a job, there are repayment options available to help you manage your student loans while you search for work. If you need help creating your budget, see StudentAid.gov/budget

Set a Repayment Goal
After you know what you can afford to pay each month, set a goal for repaying your loans. To begin setting your goal, answer this question: “Do I want to repay my loans quickly, or do I want to pay as little as possible per month?” You can’t choose both options. Any time you lower your payment, you’ll be in repayment for a longer time and you’ll pay more interest on your loans.

Select a Repayment Plan for Your Federal Student Loans
You have a choice of several repayment plans that are designed to meet your needs, including plans that base your payment amount on your income. The amount you pay and the length of time you have to repay your loans will vary depending on the repayment plan you choose. For more detailed repayment plan information and to calculate your estimated repayment amount under each of the different plans, use the Repayment Estimator at StudentAid.gov/repayment-estimator.
NOTE: Although you may select or be assigned a repayment plan when you first begin repaying your student loan, you can generally change repayment plans at any time. Contact your loan servicer to discuss repayment plan options.

Make Your Payments
Your loan servicer will provide you with a loan repayment schedule that states when your first payment is due, the number and frequency of payments, and the amount of each payment.
Your loan servicer also will give you the opportunity to pay any interest that accrued (accumulated) on your loans while you were enrolled in school and during grace or deferment periods. If you don’t pay this interest, it will be capitalized.

Stay Out of Default
Don’t miss a payment! If you don’t pay the full amount due on time or if you start missing payments—even one—your loan may be considered delinquent and late fees can be charged to you. If you are making late or partial payments, contact your loan servicer immediately for help. You may be able to change your repayment plan to one that allows for a longer repayment period or to one that is based on your income. Also, ask your loan servicer about your options for loan consolidation, deferment, or forbearance and NEVER ignore delinquency or default notices from your loan servicer.

Loan Consolidation – if you have multiple federal student loans, you can combine them into a single Direct Consolidation Loan. This may simplify repayment if you are currently making separate loan payments to different loan servicers, as you’ll only have one monthly payment to make. Consolidation may also allow you to extend the period for repaying your loan, and this may result in a lower monthly payment. There may be tradeoffs, however, so learn about the advantages and possible disadvantages of consolidation before you decide to consolidate. See StudentAid.gov/consolidation for more information.

Check Your Eligibility for Loan Forgiveness, Cancellation, and Discharge
You may qualify to have some or all of your loan amount forgiven if you work in certain public service jobs (for example, certain types of public service organizations). Additional requirements apply to receive these benefits. See StudentAid.gov/forgiveness for more information.
Resolve Loan Problems Quickly
If you have a problem related to your federal student loan (for example, if you believe that your account balance is incorrect), you may be able to resolve it by simply contacting your loan servicer and discussing the issue. To learn more about what you can do to be better prepared to resolve a problem, see “Resolving Disputes” at StudentAid.gov/repay.

Returning to School
If you enroll at least half-time in an eligible program, make sure your servicer receives enrollment confirmation either via the National Student Loan Data System (www.nslds.ed.gov) as reported by the school or you may submit an In-School Deferment.

More Resources: For videos, infographics, and federal student aid publications, visit StudentAid.gov/resources.


Veteran Services and
Financial Aid

Direct Subsidized Loan Limit

If you are a first-time borrower on or after July 1, 2013, there is a limit on the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) that you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. This time limit does not apply to Direct Unsubsidized Loans or Direct PLUS Loans. If this limit applies to you, you may not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150 percent of the published length of your program. This is called your “maximum eligibility period.” Your maximum eligibility period is generally based on the published length of your current program.

For example, if you are enrolled in a four-year bachelor’s degree program*, the maximum period for which you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans is six years (150 percent of 4 years = 6 years).  If you are enrolled in a one year certificate program, the maximum you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans is 1.5 years.  Loans received at previous institutions will be included in the calculation.

Because your maximum eligibility period is based on the length of your current program of study, your maximum eligibility period can change if you change to a program that has a different length. Also, if you receive Direct Subsidized Loans for one program and then change to another program, the Direct Subsidized Loans you received for the earlier program will generally count toward your new maximum eligibility period.

Loss of Subsidy

Do I become responsible for paying the interest that accrues on my Direct Subsidized Loans because . . . Yes No
 I am no longer eligible for Direct Subsidized Loans and I stay enrolled in my current program?


I am no longer eligible for Direct Subsidized Loans, did not graduate from my prior program, and am enrolled in an undergraduate program that is the same length or shorter than my prior program?


I transferred into the shorter program and lost eligibility for Direct Subsidized Loans because I have received Direct Subsidized Loans for a period that equals or exceeds my new, lower maximum eligibility period, which is based on the length of the new program?


I was no longer eligible for Direct Subsidized Loans, did not graduate from my prior program, and am enrolled in an undergraduate program that is longer than my prior program?


I lose eligibility for Direct Subsidized Loans and immediately withdraw from my program?


I graduated from my prior program prior to or upon meeting the 150 percent limit, and enroll in an undergraduate program that is the same length or shorter than my prior program?


I enroll in a graduate or professional program?


I enroll in preparatory coursework that I am required to complete to enroll in a graduate or professional program?


I enroll in a teacher certification program (where my school does not award an academic credential)?



 Subsidy loss is not retroactive to the date of disbursement or from the date of the loss of eligibility. Loss of subsidy is from the date of the enrollment that caused the loss of subsidy.