Add/Drop Classes

Adding and Dropping Classes

Students may add and drop courses through My Student Center. Check the official Academic Calendar for published web registration dates for each semester. Under no circumstances are students permitted to add classes to their schedules after the Census Date, unless otherwise dictated by the school’s profession-specific accreditation body.

Any adds or drops approved for processing outside web registration dates must be documented on a completed Add-Drop Form.  This electronic form will automatically route to obtain necessary approvals. Under most circumstances, forms are processed within two business days. A record of the form will be maintained in the student information system. It is the student’s responsibility to inquire with the Bursar’s Office regarding any expected refunds, as well as additional tuition owed. Outstanding balances can prohibit registration in subsequent terms.


A full or partial refund may be possible for dropped courses contingent on the date of a drop and the official start of the term. See the Refund Schedule in the University Catalog for more detailed information.

Students may drop courses at any time during the semester, but before administration of final exams or final lab exercises, and only if approved by the program director, associate dean, or other designated official. Withdrawal grades may consist of W (Withdrawal), WP (Withdrew Passing) or WF (Withdrew Failing). Students should check the University Catalog section specific to their respective schools for applicable grades.

Additional Information:

  • View UT Health Science Center Catalog
  • View UT Health Science Add/Drop Policy
  • Reference Codes:
    • Texas Education Code Texas Education Code §54.068 and §61.0595 for undergraduate students
    • Texas Education Code §54.012 for doctoral students in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences including Nursing PhD students
    • Texas Senate (SB 1231) applies to all students entering into any Texas public institution of higher education as a first-time freshman and thereafter.

Please contact the Office of the University Registrar for further questions.