Graduating Students: Questions & Checklists

What makes me eligible to graduate?

Students expected to graduate must submit an Graduation Application online the semester preceding anticipated graduation. The Office of the University Registrar will conduct a formal degree audit wherein your record will be audited for the following requirements established in part by your department or school:

  • Minimum GPA
  • Completion of your degree plan and all courses/electives
  • Resolution of any missing grades, outstanding failures (F) or incomplete grades (I)
  • Completion of and/or passing grades on prescribed board examinations

Not all students’ programs include all the requirements noted above. Students should contact their departments for more information.

Instructions for Submitting the Graduation Application Online

What else do I need to do?

  • Complete the Graduation Application online in My Student Center.
  • Verify procedures and policies for the publication of your name on your diploma.
  • Check your campus email regularly for announcements from your school and other key office on campus.
  • Check your holds by logging into My Student Center.
  • Be certain all graduation fee(s) have been paid in full with the Bursar’s Office.

Do I need to clear all my holds?

Not all holds adversely impact your ability to obtain your diploma. The table below explains the impacts various holds have, and the offices responsible for releasing those holds.

Hold for: Restricts Release of Diploma? Responsible Office Contact Number
Immunizations No Student Health Clinic (210) 567-WELL (9355)
Student Health Insurance Declaration No Office of Student Life (210) 567-2654
Transcripts Yes Office of the University Registrar (210) 567-2621
Coursework Yes Office of the University Registrar (210) 567-2621
Missing, Failing or Incomplete Grades Yes Office of the University Registrar (210) 567-2621
Exit Interview Yes Office of Financial Aid (210) 567-2635
UTHSCSA Badge & Parking Permit Yes UTHSCSA Police (210) 567-2800

Other Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Do I have to attend my school’s Commencement rehearsal?

A: Provided your school elects to hold a rehearsal, attendance is strongly encouraged in order to get acclimated with the order of events, procession, and seating. Your school will contact you by email with more details.

Q: What happens if I can’t pick up my diploma at Commencement?

A: Your diploma can be picked up in The Office of the University Registrar the week following Commencement. At your request, it can also be mailed to an address in the continental United States. Email to provide a specific mailing address.

Q: Do I have to turn in my parking permit and UTHSCSA ID badge?

A: Yes. The UTHSCSA Police Department requires these items for the security of campus grounds and facilities, and to control parking congestion. Related correspondence regarding this and related holds will be sent to your UTHSCSA LiveMail account.

Q: Do I have to turn in my UTHSCSA ID badge even if I am staying as a student in another UTHSCSA program?

A: Yes. In many cases you will receive an updated badge identifying your new department or status. Check in with the UTHSCSA Police Department for more information. (210) 567-2800.

Q: If I am receiving more than one degree, will I have to pay multiple fees?

A: Yes; the fee is assessed per certificate and/or degree awarded received within one term.

Q: If I don’t qualify to graduate, will I have to pay the graduation fee(s) again?

A: Yes; it/they must be paid again. The fees do not carry forward.

Q: When and where is my Commencement ceremony?

A: Although the University holds several Commencement ceremonies in May, some schools may sponsor ceremonies for alternate graduation dates including those in December. Your school’s dean’s office will contact you with more information about any ceremonies not published on the academic calendar.

Q: What do I wear to Commencement?

A: Business attire is expected. Secure shoes that are safe to walk in are encouraged. Don’t forget to take your cap, gown, and tassel to Commencement.

Q: I looked at my academic calendar and it reads “degree conferral.” What does that mean?

A: Degree conferral represents the day on which your degree is officially conferred by the University. This date appears on your diploma and represents the day of which you officially graduated. The conferral date for students graduating in May is the same on which Commencement takes place for their respective schools.

Q: Is there a limited number of guests I can invite to Commencement?

A: Often there is a limit. The number is driven by the size of the graduating class and the venue. Your school’s dean’s office will contact you with more information about the process for obtaining tickets for your family and friends.



Student Forms






Transcript Requests

Per guidelines in accordance with the CDC and the University of Texas Health Science Center, the Office of the University Registrar is closed at this time to protect our students, faculty and staff from the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus).

Transcripts may still be requested, but requests for paper copies will only be processed one day during the business week. Requests for electronic transcripts will be processed on a daily basis, Monday-Friday. Before requesting an electronic transcript, the requestor should verify that the recipient will accept an electronic PDF transcript.

**Official transcripts cannot be released unless the student (or alumni) has satisfied all financial or other obligations to the University.**

Official Transcripts

Current students and former students should submit official transcript requests through the National Student Clearinghouse.

  1. Visit the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) Online Services to place your transcript order.
  2. Enter your personal information to verify your identity.
  3. Select your preferred method of transcript delivery and pay the transcript fee- $10 per transcript and a $2.50 processing fee per request. Electronic transcripts incur an additional $1.75 fee. Credit cards are charged after the transcript is sent.

If you need help or have questions about the National Student Clearinghouse’s transcript ordering service, contact them via e-mail at or phone (703) 742-4200. For any other questions or concerns, please contact the Office of the University Registrar at


Request a Transcript Now


Current students may print unofficial transcripts through My Student Center at no cost. Former students should submit unofficial transcript requests through the National Student Clearinghouse.