Mobile Logo in White

Texas Residency

Texas Residency

Persons classified as non-residents upon first enrollment may request reclassification. In order to have residence status reconsidered, students must complete the Core Residency Questions and submit it with the appropriate documentation regarding residency to the Office of the University Registrar prior to the first day of class of the semester for which the change is sought. After the form and documentation are reviewed, students are notified of the residency decision in writing, by way of an electronic letter.

Establishing Texas Residency

Option 1: Residency through High School Graduation

This option for establishing Texas residency is available to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and to international students.

To establish residency through high school graduation, you must:

  1. Graduate from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and
  2. Live in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
  3. Live in Texas for the 12 months immediately before the census date (usually the 12th class day) of the semester in which you enroll at UTHSCSA (or another college or university).

If you are an international student seeking residency through high school graduation, you must submit a Residency Affidavit stating that you will apply for permanent residency when you are eligible to do so. You must also submit an official high school transcript/GED certificate with date and scores.

Option 2: Residency by Establishing Domicile

  • Citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. (Non-citizens and non-permanent residents may also use this option if they have an application for permanent residency on file with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.)
  • International students who hold an eligible visa.

If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency. To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

  1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months by doing one of the following:
  • Be gainfully employed* in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.)
  • Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent’s parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence
  • Own and operate a business in Texas

*Gainful employment – Activities intended to provide an income to a person or allow a person to avoid the expense of paying another person to perform tasks (as in child care) that is sufficient to provide at least one-half of the individual’s tuition and living expenses or represents an average of at lest 20 hours per week. A person who is self-employed in Texas or is living off his/her earnings may be considered gainfully employed for purposes of establishing residency, as may a person whose primary support is public assistance in Texas.

Residency Form and Links

Q. I am currently classified as a non-resident, but I think I should be a resident. What form should I complete to have my residency status reconsidered?

R. You should complete the Residency Questionnaire in My Student Center, along with the supporting documentation.

Q. What type of documents will be considered as “supporting documentation,” for my residency claim?

R. You must submit at least one document demonstrating that you have established domicile, and three different documents that show physical presence. Please visit Documentation to Support Residency for more information about the types of documents you may use.

Q. I currently hold a VISA, am I eligible to domicile?

R. Please review the Visa Types for Establishing Domicile in the United States to see if the VISA you hold is eligible to establish domicile.

Q. Is there any other important information I may need to review?

R. The following links will provide additional information pertaining to Residency:

College For All Texans
Rules and Regulations for establishing residency in Texas