Mobile Logo in White

Applying for Graduation

Graduation Application & Procedures

It is the responsibility of the candidate to apply for graduation online in My Student Center the semester prior to anticipated graduation. Students may expect to receive an email through their UTHSA LiveMail accounts once the application is available to them for completion. Note that the email will reach students in the term preceding their scheduled term of graduation. (For example, students expecting to graduate in the spring will receive an email prompt in the fall.) Failure to receive and/or read said email is not grounds for failing to apply for graduation online.

Online submission of the Application for Graduation will prompt an audit of your academic record to ensure you are eligible to graduate and have completed all requirements to receive your award. Information provided by the student is used in commencement programs.  Your degree will be published using your full legal name. For detailed instructions on submitting the Graduation Application online, see here:

Instructions for Submitting the Graduation Application Online

Program Requirements

For specific requirements pertaining to your program, please visit your school’s graduation section in the University Catalog.

Important Reminders

  • Registration Status: You must be registered in the semester the certificate or degree is to be conferred.
  • Graduation Fee: A fee authorized by Section 54.504 of the Texas Education Code, charged to defray the expense of preparing students’ diplomas, auditing for degree requirements, and other services related to the graduation process. Effective Academic Year 2023-2024 and Fall 2023, an increase in fee amount for the first degree will be $130.00. An additional $50.00 is assessed for each additional degree earned in the same term. A fee of $25.00 is assessed for graduation applications submitted after the deadline. Fees are non-refundable and non-transferable to subsequent terms of enrollment.
  • Change of Name: If you wish to change your diploma name, or if it is different on record, contact the Office of the University Registrar as soon as possible. You must take proper documentation, such as an official marriage certificate, official adoption documents, official court order name-change documents, etc. to the Office of the University Registrar. Contact the Office of the University Registrar at for details.
  • Exit Interview: Students who have received financial assistance must complete an Exit Interview managed by Financial Aid.

For more information and details regarding graduation and commencement, see here: